Tuesday, 6 May 2014

The Railroad That Went To Sea

For as long as I can recall, I've always had a thing for bridges: Brooklyn, the Golden Gate, Westminster; I'll cross 'em all. This love, is probably related, to the war stories, dad told about about having to rebuild the bridges, the Germans blew up, as they retreated in the dying months of the Second World War.

My love was later fuelled by that Clint Eastwood movie, "The Bridges of Madison County" where National Geographic photographer, Robert Kincaid, gets to wander round Florida taking pictures of bridges and at the weekend he makes out with Meryl Streep. There must be worst jobs.


Well excellent news everybody - there are 42 bridges on the journey down the Keys and yesterday evening, we set off to cycle the most famous stretch, the abandoned, old "seven miler", once touted as the eighth wonder of the world. Originally built for trains and then used for cars, its narrow gauge, reportedly, scared "the shit" out of passengers and later drivers. I'm happy to report we felt fine on our bikes

You may not have visited here but if Arnold Schwarzenegger rocks your world, you will have seen the bridge in the movie, "True Lies." But I'm guessing even Arnie would have struggled with our next challenge: namely, how do you photograph a two and a half mile stretch of bridge without the aid of an aeroplane.

In a couple of hours we set off in the general direction of Cuba, on the new bridge, seven miles across nothing but water. Now some might say that's a bridge too far.

Location:E 75th St,Marathon,United States

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We biked at least 14 miles, in addition to the 5 we completed earlier. I overheard a conversation in reception referring to 'mad Brits', I guess that was us! xx

Helene Thomson said...

I have to say I would agree with whoever was having the conversation!

Richard said...

Thanks for your support Helene. X