Wednesday, 27 November 2013

The Jonathan Trott Effect

I can remember passing out on just two occasions. One time I was returning home for Christmas and as I recall, mum opened the door, enabling me to cross the threshold and fall flat on the floor. Merry Christmas!

On the other occasion I was playing cricket. It was a first team match and I was opening the batting against Tulse Hill. The pre-match rumour was that their new, fast bowler, had the edge on Curtly Ambrose for pace.

What you need to know is that it was, " a bumpy pitch and a fading light." And that my friends is why I never saw the short ball that rendered me absolutely sparko. When I came round, the bump on my head was of comic proportions. Fred Quimby would have been proud.


I was reminded of the incident after watching poor Jonathan Trott, twist, turn and squirm in that first test. The guy was clearly fried to a crisp while just twenty-two yards away, a pumped Mitchell Johnson was looking sharp - sharp as a lemon tart and twice as tasty. As an example of what a bit of short bowling can do it was hard to beat and dramatically the whole psycho-drama was played out in front of thousands at the Gabba.

My purpose today is not to compare myself with Jonathan Trott. Without doubt the guy is a better batsman and marginally better looking, but clearly I'm more entertaining. No I'm just wondering whether the Trotty incident will prove to be the transformative moment in this test series. Has the psychological balance shifted?

And what, I wonder, would have happened if Trotty had managed to hit those two bouncers for six? A whole different story maybe.

Location:Manor Gardens,Hopton on Sea,United Kingdom

4 comments:

Mike B said...

Dunno about the cricket but that bump on the head sure explains a lot.

Peter Burton said...

I feel for Trotty.

For me, his situation and subsequent decision to return home from the Ashes tour of Australia go well beyond a 'technical difficulty' which can be straightened out in the nets.
I get frustrated by this 'stress related condition' phrase.
If we're going to name the dragon, call a spade a spade, then let's name the unnameable as men, right?
The name is depression.
Why such a stigma for our gender?
Shame. Probably the ultimate shame of being known as 'Weak'.
'A Pussy'.

Better to get knocked down, knocked out, have a bone or two shattered, wear your wounds on the outside like a hero, rather than be terrorised by this silent, shameful assassin that lives within.
Hearing those creeping thoughts that we're not good enough, not up to the job, fit for purpose.
And worse, that people will find out. And then what?

'What's the matter with him?' 'He should pull himself together', 'What's
he got to be miserable about, travelling the world, earning all that
money'.....

Being in the public gaze, as he is, imagine the type of criticism, judgement and vitriol both on and off the pitch that he is exposed to. How would any of us measure up to such a ruthless examination in our day to day work and life?

And if that taps into a mental and emotional wound he's been careful to hide away for years, the volcano-like pressure build up is now bringing an opportunity to sort such a difficulty out once and for all.
Sad that young Surrey cricketer, Tom Maynard, who died last year had no such opportunity to sort similar internal difficulties out.

If he had a debilitating physical condition, would people make the same comments?

rickydicky49 said...

Thanks Mike - it's nice to know I can always count on your support. But now you've got me wondering - what if you're right and that ball did more damage than I thought.

rickydicky49 said...

Thanks so much PB - that's an interesting look at the pressure those guys are under. Difficult for us to begin to imagine what it must be like. Folks you can find more of Pete's thoughts here - http://communicatefromtheheart.com/blog/